The SMART program (Supportive Mentoring Through Art) is a visual art program for teens and their mentors made possible through a partnership with the Indianapolis Art Center. It is a year-long structured art program for youth between the ages of 12-18 with an interest in the visual arts. Matches attend drawing, painting, and sculpture classes taught by professional, practicing artists. This partnership is a great way for your Little to learn about various art techniques, increase their self-confidence, and develop an art portfolio.
Big Sister Erica, who participated in the SMART program with her Little Sister Geniya, really values her experience. “As a Big, the SMART program has been a wonderful experience. Personally, the program has given me a chance to explore my artsy side which I didn’t know existed. We both try projects that we’re a little self-conscious about and we both discover a hidden talent, a hidden beauty in a project that didn’t go perfectly or just a hidden love of creating. I’ve seen my Little go from saying, “I can’t draw” to carrying a sketchbook stating almost immediately, “I drew a unicorn!” It’s been an amazing year to experience together and we certainly haven’t lost anything in devoting our time to SMART classes every two weeks for the past year!”
Little Sister Geniya said she’s discovered a new appreciation for the arts as a result of the SMART program. “When I first started the SMART program, I had no art experience and I couldn’t draw at all. Now I have fun drawing and I am really good at it. I also see myself progressing in art. There is no pressure and the teachers want to make sure that you are having fun and not frustrated. I really loved it and highly recommend it!”
The next round of SMART classes start in August and BBBSCI is now recruiting interested matches to join in on the fun! Interested matches can sign up to receive more information about the application process by emailing [email protected] or contacting their Match Support Specialist. Please consider the following before indicating your interest to be considered:
Please consider the following before indicating your interest to be considered:
- Little must have a genuine interest in art and must want to participate and commit to the program
- Little must be at least 12 years old by July 30, 2016
- Matches will commit to complete a FULL year of SMART classes (regular attendance is required, one unexcused absence per semester permitted)
- Matches must make a commitment to going to the classes every other Saturday from August 2016 through May 2017
- Matches will choose schedule A or B—both groups meet at 1pm to 3pm on alternating Saturdays
- Matches must attend the mandatory orientation session—Thursday, August 4th 6:30pm to 8:30pm
Want to learn a little more about SMART before you decide how interested you are?
- Matches can also register for a SMARTpop session (see below)—SMARTpop is a one-time opportunity to get a sample of what SMART is all about and learn more about the program overall. Matches will create a small art project.
- SMARTpop sessions are specifically designed for those Matches considering the overall SMART program, but would like to learn more before committing. Space is limited to 3 matches per session. Matches may only sign up for 1 (one) SMARTpop session.
- To register for a SMARTpop, click here.