Remember, per BBBSCI policy, no overnight stays are allowed by BBBSCI with the exception of the following:
• A BBBSCI Agency sponsored and approved event with Staff chaperones and supervision, e.g., educational fieldtrips, conferences, etc.;
• College/university visits where an overnight stay is required and the Little is enrolled in middle or high school; and
• Other activities as deemed appropriate by the CEO.
To be considered for an exception:
• A match must be together at least a year;
• The “Overnight Request Form” must be completed and submitted for pre-approval at least one week prior to the activity which includes Parent/Guardian signature and approval;
• Appropriate sleeping accommodations must be documented; and
• All parties agree to follow up by phone with their Match Support Specialist within one week of the overnight visit.
To begin the overnight stay permission process, contact your Match Support Specialist.
Are you thinking of taking a trip to Kings Island, Chicago, or anywhere else outside of Indiana?
To travel out of the state of Indiana for a match activity, contact your Match Support Specialist for a form that must be completed and signed by the Parent/Guardian, Big Brother/Sister, Match Support Specialist Team Leader & CEO at least 1 week prior to the date of the activity. The CEO will review and approve or deny the request. If the request is submitted less than 1 week prior to the activity it is automatically denied. Any out of state travel without following the proper procedure will result in termination of the match. If the Little Brother/Sister traveling out of state with the Big also plans to stay overnight, then the Big must contact his/her MSS and complete the overnight stay permission process and adhere to all policies.
3 Things Every Mentor Should Know
Q: What are the ethics of youth mentoring?
A: There are many aspects to consider when entering into a youth mentoring relationship. It is important to understand and be familiar with all aspects in order to understand your role as a mentor and do what is best for your Little. Click here for research based information.
Q: What are the key ingredients to a quality mentoring relationship?
A: Some of the key components to building a quality relationship are being a friend and a role model. There are many aspects to a mentoring relationship. It is important to keep in mind that length + strength = outcomes. This equation is the basis for what we do at BBBSCI. To become better informed, click here, here or here. In these articles you will find answers to all your questions and will gain a better perspective on what you can strive for in your mentoring relationship.
Q: What are important factors in youth development?
A: There are many aspects to youth development. Some of the characteristics needed for children to develop into well rounded adults are: good self-esteem, healthy connections to adults, progress in academics, and the ability to stay away from risky behaviors. For more information on these characteristics and on the Search Institute 40 Developmental Assets, click here or here.