Today is the beginning of Black History Month, an annual celebration of achievements by Black Americans and a time for recognizing the central role of African Americans in U.S. History. It is also a time to reflect on the important work we all must keep doing to achieve equity and social justice.
As an agency, we are committed to actively engaging in diversity, inclusion, and cultural competencies throughout our organization. Throughout the month, we will celebrate influential individuals and share continued learning opportunities on our social media channels and website. All Bigs and Littles are encouraged to participate in our special Black History Month match activities including a Black History Month Trivia Night and a Black History Month Event in partnership with Girls Inc. Please visit the Big App to learn more and register.
We have assembled a short list of resources and opportunities to participate in throughout Black History Month and beyond and we hope you find these valuable as we work together in continued education and conversation.
- Attucks: The School that Opened a City – documentary (available through WFYI)
- How to Overcome Our Biases? Walk Boldly Toward Them (TED Talk)
- When They See Us (Netflix)
- Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption – Bryan Stevenson
- Now Is the Time to Offer Solidarity and Support to Young People of Color – The Chronicle of Evidence-Based Mentoring
- Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America – Ibram Kendi
- Unlocking Us – Austin Channing Brown on I’m Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness
- Scene on Radio, Season 2: Seeing White
- Supporting Kids of Color in the Wake of Racialized Violence
- Black History Month Celebration at The Indianapolis Children’s Museum
- Black History Month (Rhythm & Poetry) at the PHIRI ART GALLERY
- Arts Council of Indianapolis – Art and Soul, Black by Popular Demand
Check out these resources and more on our website dedicated to supporting Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion work.
If you would like to recommend content for our work supporting Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion work, please contact us at email@example.com.